Friday, August 2, 2013

SOMETHINGS I MISS


Homesickness is something that I am sure all expats get once in a while. Homesickness creeps up at the most unexpected moments and when it does it knocks me for a six and the tears flow.  At these times my husband rolls his eyes and reminds me how much we are gaining from been here .... blah,blah,blah is all I hear.  I’m not infected with the homesick bug right now so I think this is the perfect time to reminisce on the things I miss from the life I left behind.
 
• Listening to music which is far too loud in my car, windows down, singing like a superstar, driving along the highway. 
• Books and the bookshops I love to browse in, Mary Who (oh I miss you) for a great book, then off to Millie J’s for a coffee and read.
• Coffee, really good coffee.
• Lazy Sunday afternoons listening to my friends chatter, sitting on their lawn and talking shit with cold vodka in my hand.
• Mendi Drive nights, afternoons and early mornings.
• The sensation and freedom of walking bare foot on Bushland Beach.
• I miss the freedom of feeling like myself. Here I am full of limitations because of my lack of control over the language, myself and this place.
• The crazy group of woman who shared my life in Australia.
• I miss myself. Here I have no voice. I am learning half a language. In my head there is nothing but half sentences, half ideas. I cannot express myself as I am used to, something that I value with all that I am. It’s as if I’m losing half my identity.
• Strawberries, oh how I miss strawberries.
• My closet – I miss my closet full of dresses, hats, gloves, high heels and bags, beautiful clothes. I miss dressing beautifully.
• My hairdresser – I want a haircut so much.
• My career – yes I do indeed miss working.



I miss a lot, but I am also blessed with the things I experience here.  I have meet people from every corner of the world who have stamped a little of themselves on my life.  I have seen things I never dreamed I ever would and have learnt so much about myself and the world.  I will continue to see and experience wonderful things but sadly nothing can ever erase the feelings of desire for the familiar.

No comments:

Post a Comment