Monday, August 5, 2013

THE PITFALLS OF WHITE PANTS




The bus stop
It seemed like a good idea at the time, wearing my favourite white pants shopping but I have indeed learnt a valuable lesson.  Shopping in Sangata and white linen pants are a terrible combination.  It all started so well, the sun was shining, not a cloud in the sky as Princess Pants and I headed up the road to the bus stop.  This is not a regular bus stop, we don’t have buses that come and go all day to cart us around – this bus stop caters for the maids and gardeners of the housing camp.  It’s a free service and is very useful for when we just need to pop into town for something.  The plan was I would meet a friend and her son on the bus and we would spend an afternoon in town, doing a few errands.  Princess Pants and I wandered up to the bus stop late in the afternoon, there was no breeze and we were already pretty hot and sweaty by the time we reached the bus stop.  I love, Princess Pants but she jinxed us when she said “it’s so hot, I wish it would rain and cool down”.  

The door we nearly flew out
The sun was still shining when we boarded the bus and settled in for the 30 minute ride.  My heart rate went through the roof as I looked out the window, noticing that our huge bus was not only on the wrong side of the road but was overtaking a truck. I certainly couldn’t see what was about to come around the bend so am pretty sure neither could the driver.  After many more of these OMG moments we pulled up on the side of the road and disembarked.  The excitement was only just beginning on this adventure as we still had several untuks to catch.  An untuk is minivan, they are yellow and blue, the back doors don’t close and you perch on incredibly thin bench seats.  You wave your hand to flag them down, cram in with as many other passengers who will fit and off you go.  This ride will cost you 50 cents but let me tell you, you’re taking your life in your hands when you board these death machines.





Just an obstacle to our shopping
The footpath
So where was I, we had just hopped off the big bus, crossed the road and were ready to wave down an untuk.  Out of nowhere the sky opened and the rain began to fall.  I’m not talking a delicate sprinkle of rain but huge drops of rain that began to soak us.  It was at this moment as the rain fell and the puddles filled that I realised the error of my ways.  White pants were such a bad idea.  We dashed for cover under a shop awning and hoped that the rain would let up.  Before you ask, no we didn’t have an umbrella and not that it would have helped my poor white pants anyway.  An untuk arrived and we climbed aboard.  I tried not to look at the road rushing by through the rust holes in the floor, or to swear profusely as the driver slammed on his breaks and nearly sent us all sailing out the open door onto the road.  The untuk made its way through town and the rain subsided (much to my relief). The untuk filled up with other shoppers and soon 10 of us were crammed into this tiny minivan (hoping the rusty floor didn’t give out).  Soon enough we got to our destination, and piled out onto the footpath.  Okay to be honest it wasn’t really a footpath it was more a slab of concrete nestled in a muddy road.  We did some shopping and I managed to find a very funky retro kettle (that’s a story for another blog), we were then on our way again.  After 3 more untuk rides we ended up at the last stop on our shopping expedition.  It was getting dark and then it happened, a torrential down pour of epic proportions hit.  Anyone from the tropics knows the kind of rain I mean, sheets of water pouring from the sky.  In the beginning we were lucky enough to be in a shop and protected from this onslaught of nature but unfortunately the time did come and we had to leave.  I walked out of the store and straight into a puddle that covered my entire foot.   I grabbed Princess Pants hand and tried my best to dodge scooters, and the deeper puddles as we crossed the road.  I could feel my thongs (yep, you know me always in sensible footwear) sliding on my feet and hoped that I would not find myself arse up in the mud.  We made it to the middle of the road fairly unscathed.   I prayed that an untuk would arrive soon as I was quite aware that my pants would soon be very see through as the rain continued to soak them.  Then I saw it, blocking our path to the other side of the road was the hugest puddle.   I’m sure a small car or scooter could disappear into it entirely, that is how big it was.  I had no choice the puddle was the only thing standing between me and a dry untuk. I grabbed Princess Pants and dashed through the puddle to the waiting untuck.  Safely inside I glanced down and sure enough there was mud and filthy water everywhere. 
 

I have learnt my lesson and on the off chance that my maid can get those pants clean again I think they will be relegated to the back of my closet never to see another shopping trip in Sangata.





No comments:

Post a Comment